Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Birthing Story at last....

I am going to hit the high points, because I don't want this to be the longest post in history and I know if I set it up in parts, I will never finish it, so here goes...

Wednesday, April 20--I go in for a visit to Dr. M. I am 3 days overdue at this time and he agrees that it's time for her to come out of there. I am still not dilated, at all. He arranges for me to come in that night so that they can give me Cyto.tek (no idea how that's spelled) in order to thin my cervix and such.
We check into the hospital at 8:30 p.m. and they start my IV and start the first dose of the above mentioned medicine. The nurse checks me (before the meds) and says I am at a 2, so that was confusing because that very morning I wasn't dilated at all. They give me an Amb.ien so that I will sleep and that did not affect me whatsoever, which I hear is crazy. I had never taken it before. I did however have a nice dose of Nu.bain (again with the spelling thing) and that eventually made me go to sleep for awhile.
That next morning the new nurse comes in and introduces herself and checks me...I think I was between a 3-4 at this time and she told me to go ahead and get the epi.dural if I wanted it. I should not have listened to her...stay tuned to find out why. Ha.
At 7 a.m. Dr. M comes in to break my water. That is just nasty of course and then the epi.dural guy comes in and does his thing. I was nervous, but that part was pretty uneventful actually. They placed the dreaded catheter and from that point on I was good to go. I wasn't feeling any pain, my family was there just hanging out in the room...no biggie and then Dr. comes into check me later that day. I think it was like noon or so and he says I am dilated to an 8. He kicks my family out because he thinks I will start pushing soon. He was wrong.
And instantly I started feeling the pain. OMG. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't talk, I couldn't function...I will never forget it. I just remember thinking that the epi.dural was a load of crap, and that's when the pump started beeping at us. Yep...the epi.dural was gone. To make a long drawn out story short...I was miserable. I felt like I needed to push and the nurse said it wasn't time and then she disappeared to go do a c-section. There are a lot of things that I don't remember, because I blocked them apparently, but I do remember jerking my blood pressure cuff off and throwing it the floor so that the alarm would go off and they would come back and check on me. LOL. I laugh now, but I wasn't at the time. Nevertheless, I started pushing when I reached a 9 because I basically refused to wait any longer and 1 HOUR and 40 MINUTES later....she was born. 9 lbs, 11 ounces.

I wouldn't say I handled the birthing process gracefully. Ha. The nurses and my husband say I did great, especially when they saw how big she was. Nothing could have prepared me for any of it...the pain, the exhaustion, the pride I took in her the instant she was born, even though I was hysterical. It was by far the hardest and best thing I've ever done.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

haha, what a story! I love the fact that you even were clever enough to think about putting your blood pressure cuff on the floor. Awesome. It was all worth it in the end right!?

Laci said...

So let me get this straight...you're epidural only lasted 5 hours?! Is this normal?

OMG! Isn't the moment they put her on your chest the best?! It gives me chills everytime I think about the first time I saw Lexi. Without a doubt THE.BEST.MOMENT.OF.MY.LIFE. Unexplainable amazement. It's just a combination of relief (from all that horrendous pain), anticipation of months wondering what she'll look like, and extreme happiness. I think every mother looks at their newborn and thinks they are the most beautiful baby they have ever seen. I know I did.
On another note...Less than a week and you'll be back!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!! I know you're not excited, but boy I sure am!!

Amaprincess said...

CONGRATS! My Sweet Pea was 9lbs 11 ounces too =)