Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ramblings...

Warm weather!!!! YAY! It's so pretty today and it was yesterday too. I love Spring--not as much as Summer, but it'll do for now. Not too much going on this week, but today there have been a few things come up into conversation that made me think. (anything to keep from doing my actual job)

Why do people talk about politics on Facebook? A war will almost always break out. My dear cousin, who will read this actually, is a political junkie (or compared to me she is anyway) and she sometimes posts political statuses and the crowd goes wild. I mostly just like to mess with her, but some people get fired up about it for real. A guy that I am friends with today posted on his FB his perspective on free healthcare and pell grants and he is getting a major amount of feedback. There is a full-fledged fight going on. I guess some people do it just to get a rise out of people, but really the fact is, no one is ever going to change their political beliefs based on a Facebook status, so why bother trying to make them?

Another controversial topic for today, breastfeeding. I find that this one almost causes as much of a ruckus as politics. I won't give my stand on it for that reason, but I do want to say that I don't think you are a bad person/mother regardless of whether you choose to do it or not, and what works for your situation might not work for others. With that being said, L&J--I am not freaking out or offended by our conversations that we have on this...I am just making a point. I am aware that I can be opinionated about some things--it's not like I don't know that, but when it comes to this topic....I don't judge people for their decision whether to do it or not and I sure don't see how anyone gets to judge me, if the day (ever) comes that I need to make this decision.

It seems so many things are controversial, and the fact of the matter is that we live in a very diverse age and place so everyone has their own opinions. I am right up in the middle of an IVF cycle and I am well aware that there are many people in this world who think it goes against God's plan. A guy I know just recently made a comment that he "would never have a test tube baby" not knowing what my situation is. He is a person who has never been married or tried for a family, so how does he know he wouldn't? He's not even religious so it was a really dumb thing to say in my opinion. Never say never. I once said I would "never" watch Lord of the Rings.... :)

This post is too deep for my liking, but I've just been thinking about this stuff and this is pretty much the place to write about it--so that's why I am doing it. I feel like I am one step closer to being a grown up. Haha!

11 comments:

AL said...

It's beautiful here too!! This is the first day this year we've seen 70 degrees and I'm stuck at work! blah!

People get crazy opinionated about breast feeding - it's insane. I'm with you, let Moms do whatever they feel is right for their child and whatever they can handle. It's not for others do judge!

Hope things are going smoothly with your IVF cycle!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I hope you don't mind that I'm now "following" you. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

And I am loving this weather right now, too. It's been in the upper 70s and sunny here in Florida. I *think* it's supposed to reach 80 tomorrow. Means summer is right around the corner!

Ashley said...

Al and Katie--we actually had mid 80's weather here today in Arkansas. I spent 9 hours of it sitting at a desk. Joy. Ha!

Katie--glad to have you. I really enjoyed your blog as well! :)

Cindybrown said...

You tell the "test tube guy" that your mother has a few things she would like to say to him :)

Ashley said...

Haha! Momma's fired up! :)

Anonymous said...

I am WAY to opinionated on 2 of the three topics LOL. My friends know what areas we don't talk about for the sake of friendship LOL

Jos said...

One thing that TTC and struggling with IF has taught me is to NEVER say things like the "test tube baby" comment - you never know what people around you are going through. I have sworn that I will never again ask if someone is wanting to have kids soon.
1) They don't want them yet, so fine.
2) They are TRYING and it is NOT WORKING.

Either way, it's a personal question, and whose right is it to ask something so personal of others?!!

Sorry, off my soapbox now. :) Found you through the blog hop!

junebug said...

I am very opinionated, however, I don't want someone pushing their opinion down my throat so I don't do it to them. I appreciate all opinions I just don't agree with all them. I think it is the intolerance I have a problem with among others. On FB if a friend talks politics (either side) they get hidden, if they talk about babies they get hidden. I found the minute I say "I will never" it happens that I do whatever it is.
On the hop. :-)

Ceejay said...

I'm so with you on keeping FB apolitical. My father-in-law is the worst at that. I don't know how many times I've had to restrain myself from making sarcastic comments on his posts--comments that would definitely cause a war. And as for IVF and other "controversial" issues--like you said, people shouldn't form strong opinions until they've been there. I probably would have been against IVF, but now that I'm going through infertility and know a lot more about it, my opinions have definitely changed! (Happy bloghopping!)

Amaprincess said...

Hi ...stopping by from the blog hop! Added you to my reader =)

Rikki said...

Hahaha... yeah, I'm a glutton for political posts. I don't mind the discussions as long as people keep them civil and educated. My problem comes in when people start sounding ignorant and attacking each other. That's when they get hidden from my feed too.

The breastfeeding thing... ditto! I took the middle road where I pump exclusively so he gets breast milk, just not straight from the source. You would think this would satisfy both camps... not so much.. there are women that will fight to the death on it. And I agree with you, it is up to the mom and dad to determine what is best for their child. Everyone is in different situations so bugger off. :-)